Quinoa and black rice with shiitake mushrooms and prebiotic-rich veg
14th June 2021/
Quinoa and black rice with shiitake and prebiotic-rich veg
The combination of quinoa and black rice (two wholegrains) with shiitake provides satisfying levels of protein for a plant-based meal. Shiitake mushrooms have a pleasant meaty texture and are nutritional bomb. They contain a substance, beta-glucans that help reduce inflammation and supports the immune system in the gut. Finally, the addition of 3 prebiotic-rich vegetables, leeks, cauliflower and asparagus makes it a gut-friendly meal.
- 300 g quinoa
- 100 g black rice
- 1 punnet shiitake mushrooms
- 2 medium cauliflowers
- 4 leeks
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp dill fresh
- Boil the black rice and quinoa in separate pans according to manufacturer's instructions. When tender but still firm, rinse under water to stop them from further cooking. Reserve
- Clean and chop the mushrooms. Brown them with a little olive oil and half of the butter until tender.
- Chop the cauliflower in even chunks and boil until tender. Mash with a fork or blender with the remaining of the butter and nutmeg. Season to taste.
- Clean the leeks, chop them sideways. Roast them in the oven with a litlle olive oil for 15min.
- Pan fry the asparagus over a medium-high heat with olive oil for 5minutes.
- Using a decorating ring, place the quinoa at the bottom, then add the black rice and mushrooms. Serve the cauliflower puree on the side, leeks and asparagus. Dill to decorate.
Make simple, healthy meals for your family!
My compilation of 36 delicious and nutritious plant-based recipes will have your family asking for a second helping!
These plant-based meals are packed full of nutrition with simple ingredients and are easy to prepare, even with a busy schedule!