Gut-loving Beetroot Hummus is a healthy twist to a classic hummus recipe with added benefits for gut health. Beetroot contains beneficial fibre for gut health plus antioxidants to help fight inflammation.
The addition of orange juice adds sweetness to the beetroot’s earthy taste. The eye-catching colour and sweet taste will please every member of the family, especially the little ones.
Besides its fascinating colour and gut health benefits, it is a simple and versatile dish which can keep in the fridge for a week.
For this recipe I used canned chickpeas. I personally do not see much of a taste difference between dried or canned chickpeas. I like to cook the canned chickpeas for about 10min before blending as it helps to further break the fibres. I find this gives a smoother texture to the hummus.
Spread this gut-loving beetroot hummus on a toast in the morning, add it to a salad for lunch or have it as snack in the afternoon with a cracker or chopped veggies. Healthy gut, healthy you!
Gut-loving Beetroot Hummus
- 1 can cooked chickpeas 400g
- 1 large beetroot oven roasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 70 g tahini
- 4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 tbsp orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 ice cubes
- 50 g walnuts chopped into pieces
- Rise the chickpeas under tap water for a few minutes. Place them in a sauce pan and boil for 10min in a little water and salt. Drain the juice and set apart.
- In a food processor or blender add the chickpeas, tahini, ice cubes, olive oil, orange juice and cumin until obtaining a smooth paste. Season to taste
- Place the hummus on large bowl or plate, leaving a hollow space in the middle to place the walnuts. Sprinkle with extra olive oil.