Fuel your gut with delish brown lentils
Gut benefits: lentils are a good source of protein and an excellent source of fibre*. The addition of brown rice provides all essential amino acids, which makes it a complete meal.
Ingredients, Serves 4
- 250g brown lentils
- 1 pack collard greens, finely shredded
- 2 bok choi, finely shredded
- 1 large brown onion
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 kelp, dried
- 2tsp dehydrated sweet bell peper
- 2tsp sweet paprika
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
- chili (optional)
- 100g flaked white almonds
- 200g short-grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 lemon
1. In a large casserole, throw in the lentils, brown onion, garlic, carrots, kelp and sweet pepper and cover with water. Cook in medium heat for 20min.
2. Remove the veggies but reserve the garlic bulb, onion and 1 carrot. Add collard greens, bok choi, potatoes and ground cumin. Cook for further 10-15minutes. Squeeze 1 lemon and season to taste.
3. Blend the garlic bulb, onion and carrot. Pour it into the casserole stirring through until it mixes well.
4. Toast the almonds and paprika in a little olive oil at a low heat.
5. Serve rice and lentil casserole and top it up with the roasted almonds.
Make simple, healthy meals for your family!
My compilation of 36 delicious and nutritious plant-based recipes will have your family asking for a second helping!
These plant-based meals are packed full of nutrition with simple ingredients and are easy to prepare, even with a busy schedule!