Gut-loving delicious chickpeas
A plant-based recipe that pleases all family members while boosting their gut health. A dish that boosts your daily fibre, protein and nutrients while remaining low fat. Chickpeas have an impressive nutritional profile and this recipe uses various condiments to add flavour and tastiness.
- 500 g dried chickpeas soaked overnight
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 2 yellow bell peppers diced
- 1 large Spanish brown onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves diced
- 200 g cherry tomatoes oven roasted, skin on
- 6 sundried tomatoes soaked for 15min and chopped
- 1 bunch rainbow chard chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika ground
- 2 tbsp cumin ground
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 chiles optional
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp turmenic ground
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in plain water. You may add 1tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Cook them until tender. I used a pressure cooker which took approximately 1 hour. Do not add salt at this stage.
- In a casserole dish, brown the onion, garlic, peppers. When they begin to soften, add the spices and chopped sundried tomatoes
- Place the cherry tomatoes on an oven tray, sprinkle some olive oil on top and roast until they caramelise (approx. 10-15min)
- In a separate casserole pan, wash the chard leaves, roughly chop them and boil until tender. Drain but reserve some of the boiling water. Place a little olive oil and sautee the leaves
- Mix the chickpeas and vegetables. You may need to add at this stage some of the reserved water. Season to taste.
- Chickpeas mix well with a source of carbohydrates like rice, quinoa or bulgur. I used quinoa.